Why choose us?
There are a host of reasons why families choose Little Earth Montessori Panmure. Here are just a few of them:
- Montessori philosophy and teaching methods
- High quality Montessori resources
- Two separate rooms for different age groups
- Special zones dedicated to learning including a geographical science area, language area, maths space, sensorial zone and practical life zone
- Large and attractive outdoor space with covered deck to enable all-weather play, sand pit, playhouse, water trough and real grass
- Vegetable and flower gardens which the children help tend
- Children learn practical skills such as caring for the classroom, pouring drinks, setting the table, making tea, cooking and sewing
- Sensorial teaching boosts powers of observation
- We provide a carefully structured phonetic approach to reading and writing
- Inclusive multicultural environment enriched by a wide range of cultural celebrations and strengthened through our studies of geography, art, history and science
- Specialised materials to help build mathematical understanding
- We embrace New Zealand’s bicultural heritage and bring te reo Maori into our daily environment
- We also go on exciting adventures in the outside world!
What is Montessori?
Who is Maria Montessori?
Dr Maria Montessori (1870-1952) was one of the most important early year educators of the twentieth century. She was the first woman to graduate from the University of Rome Medical School and became interested in education through her work as a doctor, psychologist and anthropologist. Her philosophy combines freedom and self-development for children with a practical approach.
What is Montessori education?
Maria Montessori believed that no person is educated by another – they must do it themselves or it will never be done. A child is born with a natural and innate desire to learn, a natural curiosity and desire for knowledge.
Montessori education is based on the premise that the first six years is when a child’s mind is most receptive to learning and stimulation - the ‘Absorbent Mind’. Montessori teachers identify and respond to ‘Sensitive Periods’ by providing the right activities at the right time of the child’s development, enabling children to absorb knowledge almost effortlessly from their surroundings.
At the heart of the Montessori method are the Montessori materials. These are enticing pieces of equipment, made from natural materials, which have been specially designed to incorporate a learning purpose. Activities are graded from simple to complex, and most are self-correcting allowing the child to discover for themselves rather than being teacher dependent.
How will Montessori teaching methods benefit your child?
- Improve gross motor skills through practical skills like pouring, transferring and food prep
- Sensorial teaching helps children recognise colours, shapes, tastes and smells, building an impression of the world through their senses
- Language skills are taught phonetically with hands-on materials that focus on vocabulary development
- Math learning is hands-on – children match, grade, pair and use geometric cabinet to describe shape, position and size
- Develop cultural awareness through geography, history and biology
- Outdoor experiences are viewed as an important part of physical and intellectual development, improving message coordination, body awareness, balance, lateralization and speech maturity
- We foster environmental care and respect – children help tend our garden
What we do nurtures great people to be their best.
Little Earth children are happy, caring, respectful, independent, peaceful, purposeful souls, whose minds and bodies are ready for their next challenge.
The learning journey our children take is everything to us. We respect their abilities, their worth as human beings, and we recognise their individuality. Respect for each other and our environment underpins everything we do at Little Earth.
We provide the tools to inspire our children. Passionate and professional teachers, well-resourced and cared-for premises, a loving community of parents and family.
We learn with purpose in an environment of peace and we value harmony, that’s how Little Earth children blossom.
Evolve Education Group is a leader in early childhood education, with over 120 centres across New Zealand offering a range of top quality learning options for all of our families.
Our highly regarded brands – which include Active Explorers, Lollipops, Pascals, Learning Adventures, Little Wonders, Little Lights and Little Earth Montessori – nurture children to love learning and become the best they can be. Rich and diverse educational opportunities are delivered by passionate, experienced educators in purpose designed centres equipped with the latest learning resources.
Evolve Education Group is helping shape the future, preparing little minds for great things in today’s ever changing world.